Friday 3 September 2010

Birko Babe!

In the midst of this belated Indian summer, I have had chance to try out my new Birkenstock Gizeh ::squeal:: and report my verdict back to you guys!

My Preconception

Until last month I was judgemental. I had a fixed impression of the 'type' of person who would wear Birkenstock's cough-hippy, festival loving, cool, uber trendy-cough and cast them aside from my potential shoe buying list as 'not me' and too out of my foot league. However one hot, humid day in a busy shopping mall I meandered over to the Birkenstock display. See it had a crowd of people looking at one pair of shoes - the Gizeh - and I got nosey. This often happens, I get the feeling I'm missing out on something and have to fulfil my curious streak by sticking my neb in too. I discovered the object of their desire and on the lookout for some comfy summer footwear myself, thought they might be worth a shot at trying on. The point I slipped my feet into them, I instantly knew I had to have a pair. See it was like my feet were on small clouds of fluffy air. I didn't want to take them off. I spent 15 minutes gazing at the different array of colours (so cute!) and being skint, my boyfriend had to drag me away, kicking and screaming.

My own pair!!

Thanks to the lovely people at www.rubbersole.co.uk (have a mooze around, you know you want to!) I got the opportunity to purchase some of my own. How utterly fab!!! I had been daydreaming of these beauties for a while and was overcome with shoe happiness. A new pair of shoes - is there any other joy equal to this?!

I plumped for the Gizeh in Mocca colour, Size 4 and was impressed with the efficient next day delivery I received (recorded) which comes free with your order!

Here is how they looked on the website RRP £39.99



Very swish n'est pas?

The website also proffered the following info:

Since 1774, Birkenstock have been making these iconic sandals. Designed and manufactured in Germany, this is a family owned business whose goal is to produce the best sandals in the world. High quality materials and unique construction give durable comfort and long lasting style. The concept of Birkenstock is easily understood when one considers the design of our feet and the mechanics of walking. Each contour in a Birkenstock footbed is precisely placed to stretch, flex and move naturally. Your feet benefit from free movement, constant exercise and improved circulation, resulting in long lasting comfort and better health.

  • Upper: birko-flor
  • Sole: cork/latex
  • Contoured sole
  • Comfortable
  • Durable
  • Classic design
  • Made in Germany
I was eager to try out these bad boys myself.

The Gizeh arriveth!




Tragedy then struck in the form of left foot tendonitis :O




Damn those pesky tendons - My foot was so swollen it wouldn't fit in the blimmin Birkenstocks. So I waited, I bided my time, I limped around the house with one foot bandaged and the other adorned with the Gizeh.





Apologies for weird small freakish toe action occurring :|









I was determined to enjoy the luxurious feeling of comfort and aaaaaaaah albeit with one foot :|

Gizeh thoughts!

Slowly but surely as my left foot has deflated I have begun to wear both - outlandish thinking I know - and I love them. I don't know why I dismissed Birkenstock Sandals as 'not me'. They have so many different styles ~ click me to view ~ such complimentary, vibrant colours and due to the sole of the Birkenstock being contoured to stretch, flex and help your foot move naturally the benefit is noticeable within a few days.

I was worried the toe post would rub against my foot and irritate my skin but that hasn't happened. They are easily the most comfortable shoes I have owned, and comparable with Havaianas and Hush Puppies for making me feel like I have slipped my feet in a veritable dry foot spa! I also have very wide feet, a family trait, and spaced out freakish toes, but although my small toe sometimes make leaps at freedom they fit well. The quality is superb and I predict they will last me many future summers to come. They go with any outfit and are so easy to slip on and off. They are ideal summer footwear for taking to the beach, festivals, picnics in the park etc and being so lightweight you can carry them in your handbag for impromptu Birkenstock moments!

If you fancy sampling some Birko's yourself or any other shoe on www.rubbersole.co.uk, the lovely people have gave me the code 'cherchats' for you to enter at the basket stage of ordering for a 10% discount. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

The Verdict

If you have never looked at Birkenstock Shoes in this way before, take another look. They are definite growers that stand alone and unique in the footwear world. Besides the Gizeh there are many more styles to choose from that appeal to people of all ages and tastes ~ Birkenstock Website Linky. Crafted to ensure maximum tootsie health and comfort, besides looking bloody well fabulous they may be the missing element of summer footwear from your wardrobe. Reasonably priced, very durable and providing comfort to tired, stressed out, well worn summer feet, they spring you back into action and are perky, happy little shoes that deserve a second look. I would highly recommend to all my friends.


Happy weekend all! From a newly converted Birko Babe!

sources - www.rubbersole.co.uk and www.birkenstock.co.uk


3 comments:

  1. I've got some I've never worn, but might make the effort with them tomorrow. Ta for the code too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never worn :O what style and colour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gold Gizehs, although it's more of a bronzey shade. It's been to cold to wear them since I bought them so I just ordered some thermal socks instead :)

    ReplyDelete